Monday, November 10, 2008

You won an election...

You neither defeated the Nazis nor cured cancer. You have a right to be happy. (Lord knows if the Democrats had blown the biggest gimme election since 1932, I'd probably still be laughing at them.) But is it just me, or have vast portions of the country lost all sense of perspective?
Living right outside of Boston, I've long been swimming in a sea of the Obama brand. I know Obama voters didn't get what was so creepy about the O-love, so imagine giant multi-colored heads of George W. Bush telling you to BELIEVE...

Freaking creepy right? Visions of Darth Cheney cackling evilly during the Two Minute Hate.

Sorry, I degress.

My point is, during the election such overreach was...unnerving but understandable. But now...now it's just creepy. I admit that I'm generally a cynic on Candidate love (I've owned precisely two signs for candidates in my life...well candidates that weren't me.) but I understand it as a motivational tool in a campaign. But things like MoveOn.org's celebratory sticker do little to allay the fears of messianic overreach.

But if these guys get their way, we may in fact all need to join the 3,000,000 proud Leader stickers. I don't think any patriotic American* is immune to some pride at electing a Black President (though many of us already knew the country could) but as of right now George Walker Bush of Texas is the President of the United States.

Or, put another way. Barack Obama has not taken office yet. He hasn't picked a cabinet. He hasn't faced down Russians, Iranians, North Koreans, Wahabbist extremists, Super Bowl streakers, the BCS system, Alex Rodriguez, the cast of The Hills the French, the Hamburgler, what little stock market is left or any of the other 10 thousand other things wrong with the world. The economy still sucks, the government is broke, and George Lucas is still defiling the corpse of Star Wars.

Barack Obama hasn't done anything yet. It is my sincere hope that in 8 years we're all celebrating a new Golden Age of unprecedented security, peace, freedom and prosperity. But until that time, can we refrain from even thinking about giving him his own holiday. He may be the next Lincoln, but he could also be the next Harding. Both were elected on the strength of their oratory.

Getting elected President ultimately isn't that hard; George W. Bush did it twice after all.

*For the purposes of this Blog, honest to God racists can not possibly be considered "patriotic." I know they exist, and I know there's some skinhead out there who wants to shoot that "n--- President." (and every night I pray he/she/they don't get their wish) but frankly, their opinions are too neanderthal to count in reasonable discussion

No comments: