I got home in time to hear about a spectacularly huge economic stimulus package proposed by the president-elect.
I laughed, bitterly, because I know where the money is coming from, and surely so does anyone who takes a minute to think about it. Well, my father isn't laughing.
My parents are pretty successful folks, in different ways to be sure, but successful. My mom makes a very good living in sales. She is in a negatively affected tax bracket. My father owned his own business for almost 20 years, went back to college after 30 years, and then sold his business to become a teacher. In my opinion (and I don't think I'm alone) teachers are highly under paid, under appreciated, and held down by the political ties of a union many of them don't want to be forced to pay the dues for.
Well, as it stands, if the president-elect's tax plan passes then my father may have to quit his already under paying, under appreciated, union smothered job where he inspires young people in an inner city to progress because it would place less of an economic burden on our family. His salary would no longer cover the entirety of their taxes, and it would cost them more for him to keep working than not.
I thought the idea wasn't to punish people for their success.
In other news, I am addicted to the Twilight series and am going to read more to get my mind off of this incredible new fury.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment